Sunday, June 21, 2009

Why I don't get my work done

For the past couple of weeks I've sat here at my desk working on several end-of-the-year tasks. In the middle of all this work, I've often stared forlornly (well, not so much) at my blog, where I haven't posted in almost two weeks. It's just been so busy, and I admit I'm easily distracted. I've also been somewhat at a loss for what to write, being that my head is in several places.

I've found myself surrounded by piles of papers needing to be read, corrected, filed, graded, organized... and what am I doing? I'm looking at several Internet pages which I've tabbed - my personal email, my school email, my Google Reader, my Facebook, my Twitter page, my Nings, and my blog.

I correct a couple of pages, check my inbox. Read another paper or two, send a message to my sister on FB. Grade a few more papers, scan my Twitter page, tweet, or retweet. Edit another few pages, read a few of my favorite blogs. Tweet again. Check FB and discover my Scrabble partner has challenged me to a new game. Play my turn. Back to the papers. Check in on one of my Nings, read. Get up to adjust the volume on the TV. Oh yeah, I'm also watching, or rather listening to CNN. I go to get a cup of coffee. Back to the papers. And so it goes.

That's how I work. Call it ADHD or plain old procrastination. No wonder I'm still looking at my undone report cards, which are due on Wednesday.

Oh well. I did manage to write this post.

5 comments:

campbele said...

Too bad we didn't know about this sooner!!

http://blog.mawbooks.com/2009/06/12/bloggiesta-the-unveiling-of-a-new-upcoming-blogging-event/

Betty said...

I am the very same way. Today I organized some materials for my adult classes. Then I decided to clean out my closet. Without finishing the closet, I launched into an under the bed clutter removal. The jobs are still not completed, and here I am taking a break reading blogs. Oh, yeah!

John Spencer said...

I get that way, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I am not the only one!

Another Blogger said...

Same situation here :)