Monday, January 31, 2011

Weather Conditions

Her face struck me, in a sad way, in an "awww" kind of way - 
downcast brown eyes forced me to see I had been thinking only of myself.
I was relieved at the thought of a snow day, even giddy -
many of us, overworked and unappreciated get to feeling that way
this time of year.
But not her, nor her little friends.
Several of them were downright disappointed at the possibility of NOT having school.
What kind of kid doesn't LOVE a snow day?
That would be the kind that sits in my room
looking at me expectantly for the next big thing...
prime numbers, possessives, paragraphs,
and PEMDAS.
Niña, I think to myself, I need this day. 
Maestra, she says with her eyes, I need you more.

1 comment:

Lana Banana said...

cuts right to my soul, this post, amiga.

right to my soul.

my ELD kids come to learn, sure . . . it's right behind, though, coming to school for food (yes, food) and love. i'm often the only adult who asks them how they're doing, what they think, what they want, what do they need.

breaks your heart.

breaks mine.

happy valentine's day. i've missed you.