Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hectic week ahead!

What a weekend! I spent it all right here, at my computer, preparing a couple of workshops. I'm presenting them at the NJTESOL-NJBE Spring Conference www.njtesol-njbe.org this week.

One workshop is about www.colorincolorado.org, a website I've been involved with for the past four years. It is an excellent English/Spanish website for educators and parents of ELLs. It has been a tremendous opportunity to be part of a group of educators from across the U.S. who contributed to this great resource.

In the other workshop, "Practical and Engaging Strategies for Teaching Writing to ELLs", I'll be showing bilingual and ESL teachers how I get my students excited about writing while they increase language proficiency. Part of the workshop involves getting my audience to do some writing. It's always a risk you take, when you try to show others why you do what you do. Most importantly, I want my participants to walk away understanding that our students can be the most amazing writers, when and if given the right activities and supports.

No comments: