Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dedication and dehydration

I am dehydrated and frustrated. I am tired and annoyed. I am doing the best I can. I am running around in circles. I am doing what I know is best. I am trying to please the unappeasable. I am reading, signing, checking, conferencing, questioning, supervising, planning, documenting, and differentiating. The “Lone Ranger” theme plays in the background while I hurry my charges from math, to vocabulary, to writing, to reading, to lunch, to ESL, and then through a frenzied science lab which we manage to plow through in 20 minutes. A few minutes before dismissal I sound like an auctioneer rattling off the homework assignments and reminding them to get their forms signed, while the principal drowns me out with her booming afternoon announcements. We have chaos in Room 219.

I spent 12 hours at school today, and not once did I stop to drink water! Of course, many teachers avoid water as we do not have the freedom to leave our students and run off to the restroom. I arrived extra early today and stayed very late to organize, clean up, and catch up (because I’m already behind) and even then, I did not stop to take care of a most basic need. Hydration.

They say water is vital to brain function. No wonder I feel brain-dead tonight.

5 comments:

The Fearless Blog said...

I too am guilty of not drinking enough if any water all day while I am at the college. Sometimes I don't even have time to eat lunch.

What I have started to do is carry healthy snacks in my purse to munch on in between classes. However, I have omitted the water, and like you I find myself exhausted by the end of the day. It takes me weeks to get into the "swing" of things and back up to full power, especially when I have been away on a long summer vacation.

Water, water and more water...my mantra for today. :)

Sending good wishes your way...

Stella said...

Ay Chica! You hit the target with your posting! Our teaching world control our intake of water and yes, you are right, that's just not ok.

Hang in there chica, but DO drink water!

TeacherDee said...

I had 0 headaches all summer. Since I've been back to school I've had 2 doozies and a few minor ones and I think it's because of not drinking water. I can have it sitting right on my desk all day and not take a sip because I don't slow down even that much. I'll try to get better and you should, too!

Betty said...

I have had kidney stones, and a doctor told me it was probably because I don't drink enough water. He said that a lot of teachers come his way with kidney problems. It is so hard to get a chance to go to the bathroom. I've often thought that schools should hire an aide to go to different classes all day to give teachers a chance to be "human."

luvikavi said...

I can understand what you're going through, and water is so important that even I forgot to chug some down now and then.

I have a high respect for educators because I know how much time and effort it takes outside of the classroom. It really is a life commitment.

Hope you're getting enough water now!